Colorado Compact Driver's License Information

Colorado Interstate Compact Driver's License

"Is there a state where you can get a hardship or work permit if you are banned from driving in your home state?" If your name appears on the National Driver's License Register (NDR) no Interstate Driver's License Compact State will issue you a driver's license. The exception is Colorado.

The four things necessary in order to get a waiver of your license hold are:

  1. Colorado residency;
  2. No driving for at least one year since being suspended in another state and;
  3. A hearing before the Colorado, Department of Revenue, Hearings Section to determine whether you are safe to drive;
  4. An attorney experienced with these types of cases to help you through the process.

Under Colorado law, the Colorado Department of Revenue (CDOR) may waive an out of state NDR hold for purposes of issuing a drivers licenses to Colorado Residents. In order to be eligible for a Colorado driver's license you must meet the minimum legal requirements listed above. However, there are many details that you have to take care of in preparing you case for the DMV hearing officer. That is why its wise to have an experienced attorney to prepare and present you case to the Colorado DMV.

After you are approved, and get a Colorado driver's license, you can legally drive again in Colorado and most other states. The license obtained through the Colorado Interstate Driver's License Compact is not a hardship or work permit - you get full driving privileges. An ignition interlock device may be required. In some instances you may need to take Colorado DUI classes. Generally, you will not be able to drive legally in the state(s) that issued the hold on your license in the first place. We are lawyers specializing in getting people Colorado driver's licenses after they have been denied elsewhere. In the last twenty years we have helped hundreds of people drive again. Call 1(877)362-9091 for a totally free, confidential, assessment of your case.

Steps to Get Licensed

STEP ONE: Establish residency and obtain two forms of proof for your DMV application. A very limited example of forms of proof are: an apartment lease, utility bills, telephone bills, pay check stub etc.

STEP TWO: Apply for a license. By applying for a license and being turned down, you'll be issued a Colorado Personal ID Number. The PIN must be added to the Colorado database before your attorney can schedule a hearing.

In order to apply for a Colorado driver's license for the first time you will need the following items:
  • Two forms of Proof of Colorado Residency
  • Proof of Your Name
  • Proof of Identity
  • Social Security Number
  • Proof of Date of Birth
  • Proof of Legal Presence in the US

What items DMV will accept as ID at the time you apply for a drivers license in Colorado: CDOR DL Requirements

STEP THREE: Have your attorney schedule a hearing before the Colorado Department of Revenue.

STEP FOUR: After your new license is approved you will have to comply with any conditions of the license e.g., interlock installation, SR 22 insurance, take substance abuse classes etc. After you obtain a permit you may take a driving test. We recommend that you use a private testing agent since you may have to wait for several weeks for a DMV driving test. You can schedule a driving test at the following links:

  1. Denver Driving Test
  2. Colorado Driving Tests

Holds That Can't be Waived

The Interstate Drivers License Compact (DLC), together with the Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC) are intended to help member states to collect outstanding traffic fines and to enforce drivers license penalties such as license suspensions for DUI. These "Compacts" are agreements between states to enforce license suspensions and traffic fines for non-resident drivers. The DLC specifies that the "Home State" must treat a violation as if it had happened in the home state. The home state must impose suspensions and drivers license restrictions according to the home state laws. The NRVC mainly concerns the collection of fines. Colorado will not waive suspensions for non-payment of fines, restitution or child support.

Colorado Relocation Links

We Will Help You Drive Again!

We've been doing these hearings for almost twenty years now with almost 100% success. I attribute our success rate to our "hands on approach." This includes ensuring eligibility and providing guidance on what supporting documentation is necessary before a hearing is requested. If you've been revoked for life in you home state or are subject to a long-term revocation call Cliff at 1.877.362.9091 or 303.806.5104 to discuss your case.

Connect Free Consult